Saturday, 22 October 2011

Clowning around!

I started on my clown doll today, I collected together all the images and information that I had about the Schoenhut clowns and made up some sketches and a plan in my sketchbook. Then I worked on getting the basic shape of the wooden elements right using the different sanders in the woodwork room (wearing my goggles and overalls) until I felt I got the shape I needed.


I then smoothed the edges with a bit of medium grade sandpaper by hand and filled in the little holes from wear the strings had been. I painted the shoes red and face and hands white as shown in my research but am leaving the aging until the end to ensure consistency.

Since I had got the head shaped and painted I have spent tonight clay sculpting the face, continually referring back to my research, onto the clown and then once dry have painted it to match my research images. I am really happy with the outcome; he looks as menacing and accurate as I feel I could get to the picture even though he is too clean and new to be right just yet.
The modeling air dry clay I used for the face from the art shop.


Getting the basic shape of the face, refering to research images.

I let it dry a bit before adding in the delicate detail of the lips.

Base colour white and start of the detail. I let each colour fully
dry before doing the next so as not to smudge it.

The finished face, just needs pom-pom ears and aging.

No comments:

Post a Comment