Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Making Bread!

1. Mark onto a piece of polystyrene the basic shape of your prop.


2. Using a long blade Stanley knife cut off the large amounts of excess material and start to create a rough form of your desired shape.

3. Then use the wire brush to start to shape the rounded edges of the loaf.

4. Next using the files you can level and shape the rough edges made by the brush.

5. After that the surface was smoothed using medium grade sandpaper.

6. Then cut in any details into the basic shape and use the sandpaper to smooth these too.

7. Once sandpapered make up a mix of watery PVA glue and paint on a thin layer to each area.

8. On top of the glue stick squares of thin muslin, much like the Fiberglassing process.

9. After it has dried you can paint it.

Using the Belgium bread photo reference material I layered up different colours of paint to get the right effect. However once I got to the right colour of bread I decided something else was missing. In the picture there was flour on top of the bread so after a talk to Simon as how I could achieve this we decided to make a test patch of Talcompowder on a separate piece. I like the look so using a very thin spreading of PVA to attach it with to the top.
My finished bread!

At the end of the lesson we were set homework to make a Belgium/narrative relative cheese to go along with our bread by the following Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment