Monday, 24 October 2011

Finishing touches to the helmets!

Today Andy showed me how to add strap loops to the edge of the helmets using wire and some strips of plastic.
Firstly I bent a length of wire into four rectangle strap loops to make enough for two for each helmet.

I then cut some lengths of thermoplastic which I then bent around the wire loops using the heat gun to melt the centre point of the strips first.

Once the plastic had turned back solid I cut the excess off with the plastic ban saw and attached them to my helmet. For the plastic helmet I just scratched off some of the paint on the inside of the helmet and used plastic weld to attach them. For the fibreglass helmet I had to use a file to rough up the inside points of the helmet and the plastic on the straps and then attached them using super glue.

After I had attached them all to the inside I painted them to camouflage the plastic pieces. I had already painted the inside of my helmets so I had to make up a colour match as close as possible although it wasn’t perfect I am happy with the way it has come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment