Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Last but not least!

Today I finally finished all my props!
I have aged my clown using two shades of brown paint that I dabbed on using tissue to give it a soft look. I also rubbed the base of his feet in sand paper and a bit on his face so as to scratch off a bit of paint. And here he is!


The research inspiration
Image found:



Also over the last two days I have been making my Kerosene Hurricane Lamp which has been a bit shoved to the side. This is how I made it.

After looking at the research image I am recreating I decided the base was too big, so cut it down and covered it in filler to give it a rougher (more like rusted metal) and better surface to paint, and also add weight to counterbalance the vase.
I then created the other little elements of the shape using more polystyrene and a small coke bottle, which I used the neck to create a faux wick holder and the middle to make a fake glass base. However the middle was too wide so I had to cut it and make a seem which didn't look as neat as I hoped. It also proved messy to glue to the glass but this will be hid by the base rim.

Once I had made the rest of the metal base shape I bent wire and attached it around the base to create the rim. I also then created the small elements, like the dial (wire and a card knob) and the clasp decoration (cut and glued card).
I then stuck all the base elements together and painted them a base dark brown. Once that had dried I went over the lumpy glue and filler areas with copper and a lighter brown paint to add the look of rust.
After this had all dried I glued on the vase and then burnt a piece of rope and stuck it in the base of the vase.

And here is my finished lamp!

The original I based mine around mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment